Plan: (Update) I've added a second student to my tutoring session.
The original student is Wubayheu, an adult ESL student from Ethiopia. The new
student is also an adult ESL student. Her name is Cake and she is from
Thailand. Both students have similar struggles with reading and similar
interests.
For our first official session I wanted to,
first, find an article that interested them. Secondly, I wanted to introduce a
strategy to help them with their concentration. The article I chose is called
"Birth Order: What it Means for Your Kids... and You". We read this
article and implemented strategies such as "clink and clunk", "think
aloud", and pair work both during and after reading.
Actual: Before the reading the article we had a short discussion about
birth order and whether or not it has any effect on personality. Next, the two
students worked together to make a list of personality traits and how they
related to the different birth orders (oldest, middle, youngest).
After this activity I front-loaded some
vocabulary that I thought might be challenging. I introduced the basics of each
of the eight words (ex. word form, 1 or 2 synonyms) then had the students write
sample sentences using some of the words.
While reading students used the clink and clunk strategy to manage comprehension
and paused every two paragraphs to discuss what they read with their partner
and to ask any questions to clear up confusion. Finally, after reading the
essay students were tasked with creating a set of quiz questions. Finally, we
revisited our vocabulary words. By looking at the words in context we were able
to clarify the meaning and use of the vocabulary.
Analysis: The lesson went
fairly well. The students enjoyed the topic of the article and the discussion
associated with it. My first reaction to the lesson is that there were simply
too many steps. I picked out this reading activity from one of the online
recourses. While each individual step was beneficial, the overall lesson was a
bit tedious. It seemed like the students were tired of completing news tasks by
the end. If I had to do it again I would focus on the strategies before and
throughout the reading process. The post reading strategy could be used to
begin the next class.
No comments:
Post a Comment